Although it is impossible to know what God can and will do in the Sertão, it is good to have a vision and goals. After reading the book Church Planting Movements by David Garrison, I would love for that to happen here, although some may say the conditions are not right for it. A church planting movement, however, will be the goal here.
We have been in Arcoverde since January of 2014. Arcoverde is a major city right outside the Outback. It is called the gateway to the Outback. There we have worked alongside missionaries Roger and Marcy Smith, from Koinonia Baptist Church in Recife as we have opened a resource center for area churches as well as start a church plant in a neighborhood and class that does not have a church. The church plant is up and running and doing well.
As we have done this we have made contacts from other neighboring cities. One city, Tupanatinga is home to one of the first couples who were saved with us here. We have been doing a Bible study there since they moved back in 2016. We plan on making a move from houses to a location in 2019. As we do this we also are looking at another city called Pesqueira where we have also made contacts. We plan to start Bible studies just like we did in Tupanatinga that will one day turn into a church.
As we spend more time here we continue to make more contacts. We would love for more couples to come alongside us as there are many more cities in our region to reach.
Short term goals
- Recruit 1 couple while we are on furlough.
- Grow our church in Arcoverde
- Start having a location in Tupanatinga.
- Start Bible studies in Pesqueira.
Long term goals
- Start Koinonia of Arcoverde.
- Start out of town Bible studies in the surrounding towns.
- Have out of town Bible studies that can turn into churches.
- Have an unofficial seminary, whether it be through Sunday school or night classes or modular classes.
- Use seminary students to start other Bible studies, in town or out of town.
- Send out missionaries from the Sertão to other parts of Brasil and the world.
- Have churches in all 17 towns of the Sertão.
- Start churches in other towns in the Northeast region.