Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Contrarian's Guide to Knowing God

So I am reading this book right now by Larry Osborne. He really has me thinking so much about how I measure my own spirituality. Many times we have our own rituals we do that we think makes us spiritual. I have had the problem in the past of saying - reading the Bible + Prayer + Memorizing Scripture + Church = God's pleasure. As many times as I have said that these are helping me to know God better, is that the main goal. Or am I just doing all those for kudos bars in heaven?
My Pastor has been preaching on Worship the last couple of Sundays and I have really learned a lot from it. God wants our worship above our service. Our service and actions are just means by which we are worshipping God. So we must focus on worship above all else. "God is most glorified in us, when we are most satisfied in Him." -John Piper.

4 comments:

Kevin said...

Good post and a great question. What does define my spirituality verse what should? Thanks for joining the conversation over at Tomorrow's Church. We are just getting started and would appreciate your input.

Seda said...

Y'all are taking it too seriously. God loves to laugh. She wants us to be happy. And she doesn't lie to your heart.

Seda said...

Oh, heck. Sorry about that last post. Who am I to criticize you or your faith or the way you practice it? I feel sad that I responded in haste and said words that may offend and break connection, sad that I didn't act in my integrity. Needs for contribution and connection not met.

Blessings to you,
S

David and Sarah Carrel said...

That is ok Seda. I understand. I definitely agree that there needs to be a bunch of laughing in life. I am actually a very sarcastic person and one of my faults is that I joke around way too much to the point where people do not take me seriously. haha.
Anyway, this blog is usually the serious side to me, but feel free to joke around as much as you want. Also, feel free to express your beliefs. I know we probably won't agree on all points, but I will always tell you what I believe and try not to criticize what you believe.