Monday, February 23, 2009

The Reason for God

I just closed the books on yet another excellent book. "The Reason for God" by Tim Keller discusses reasons people have for not believing in the God of the Bible. Then he also gives reasons for believing in God. It is so easy to make excuses for not believing in God. We hear so many growing up, like that science disproves the Bible. Others look at apparent contradictions in the Bible as reasons not to believe. But really, if someone does not WANT to believe, they are not going to without God's sovereign drawing. Everyone has an excuse, yet Romans says that everyone is without excuse.

We also have our own presuppositions for who God is that we receive from our culture, our home, our surroundings and our experiences. I know that with certain doctrines in the Bible I did not want to believe a certain way because I did not grow up that way so how could I believe that way. We need to weigh our presuppositions with the Bible and ask God for wisdom and understanding as we search for His truth.

OK, that post might have been a little broad or did not provide enough info about the book, so I am going to just suggest to all to go out and read it.

2 comments:

Jeff Selph said...

I feel that science does not disprove God, but rather brings glory to Him. It's just lense at which you look at it through.

Also, I love reading the Bible now, because I've chosen to read it and take God at what HE says, not on what I've been told He said.

Seda said...

I think there are two main reasons people disbelieve in God. First, there are the actions of so many believers - which is probably self-explanatory.

Second, there's the fact that the Bible doesn't adequately address many people's situations.

By the way, David, you're right - you did tell me your wife's pregnant - I was looking back over some old comments and found it in the Definition of Marriage post. Guess I hadn't kept up with that one...

So exciting - are you going to birth in the jungle?