Tuesday, August 11, 2015

The same old me or a new me?

"I am stubborn and hard to deal with; that is just how I am; if you don't like it, don't deal with me." Beautiful words to use when you want to talk about yourself. I still cannot wrap my mind around the mentality behind these words. If you are annoying and know it, why not change?

I have many faults, but I try to work on them and improve my personhood. Some think they do not have a choice when it comes to what kind of person you are, but that is completely false. What separates people who are what we would call successful and the rest? While there are thousands of correct answers to this question, I am going to say that the most successful people invest in themselves. You have many decisions and actions to take in life and you prepare for those by what you put in your mind.

When someone buys a car they look for value. Is the car new? Does it have problems? What kind of trinkets does it have? When we bought our car the DVD player with screens in the back added a lot of value. So when someone looks to hire, they look for value as well. What kind of person are you? What trinkets (or good characteristics) do you have that add value to you as an employee? Maybe you don't have any! Surely that is not true. But certainly it is true that you can add more value to yourself.
How do you do that? Be proactive with yourself. Look for ways to learn (reading being the primary method) and start putting good material into your mind.

Reading a book yesterday I learned new information (and old). I noticed that at some point in life I had learned some good insight in my relationship with my wife and others. Had I read the book sooner I might have saved a few battles with my wife. It is funny cause we will spend time learning lessons through negative experiences (like fights with your wife) or you can learn them by prevention done through reading. If you need me to tell you which of these is easier send me an email and I will let you in on the answer!

This process can happen to anyone, but Christians can have a great advantage. You see, we have the Holy Spirit in our life who often works through the Bible to help us out. My grandfather and parents have been great examples of putting the Bible into their minds. They consistently read every morning. The bible says this is being transformed by the renewing of your mind. We are more like Christ!

No comments: